PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my dream stratocaster!!

MetalMac
11-09-2009, 01:48 AM
I thought I'd start an interactive thread of sorts. I am wanting to build a stratocaster with some versatility. I want it to be able to get humbucker style tones as well as single coil tones. I am curious as to what you guys would recommend for the neck, body, pups, toggle switches, pots, nut, tuners, everything from the ground up!!! I will take everything into consideration and will keep you guys posted as to my progress.

MetalMac
12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
nobody? I was kinda hoping for some advice and I was wanting to make a strat based on your ideas.

MrSandMan
12-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Okay here's my idea of the perfect strat.. mahogany body, original floyd rose, maple neck, lock-nut, grover tuners, Seymour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge and original american strat singles in middle and neck (or maybe SDs there too). Probably 500k pots and a 5-way selector. Maybe add a phase inverter switch too.. but that would be a matter of preference. I'd probably never use it.

So if the Strat stays in tune (check) - Strat can do high gain (check) - Strat can do cleans and brown sound (check) and the strat has a deep rich voicing w/ mahogany wood (check) and is a smooth player (solid maple neck - check) the strat is perfect.

However, I'd personally prefer a dual humbucker guitar.. but that's just me.

By the way, we're switching the forum over to new software and the site will be undergoing a lot of changes. If you like the same software ultimate-guitar, harmony-central, thegearpage, jemsite, sevenstring.org use, then you'll feel right at home at Gear-Monkey because we're upgrading to the same software all those guys use.

MetalMac
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I like what you guys are doing with the forums, it's great. I can always count on you sandman, thanks for your input! I'd really like for the neck to have more of a satin style finish rather than that high gloss, but that's just me. I'm open for any suggestions as to where I can get my parts for a good price. I also have a telecaster that needs a new neck and new pups. :w:

Brian Krashpad
12-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Okay here's my idea of the perfect strat.. mahogany body, original floyd rose, maple neck, lock-nut, grover tuners, Seymour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge and original american strat singles in middle and neck (or maybe SDs there too). Probably 500k pots and a 5-way selector.

Sounds like a Strat-shaped Les Paul!

Or at best a superstrat.

I'm not really a Strat guy myself, I tend to go towards Teles and LP's.

If I had a Strat with an HB, it'd be in the neck, not the bridge where everyone else puts them. But I'm not a non-trad Strat person either. I like the 3-singles design with the middle slot RW/RP. Alder, ash, or poplar body, to preference/price. Maple neck. The inexpensive Strats I've had have always had ceramic pickups, I'd like to hear how alnicos sound in a Strat.

But I don't think my views come very close to the OP's so I doubt this is any help at all.

MetalMac
12-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the reply, krashpad. Yeah, you seem to be more of a traditionalist, which is good, but I already have a freakin sweet american standard strat which is terrific for the traditional strat sound. What I'm looking for is a strat that can be custom built/modded to achieve a more versatile sound. I love the neck on the american strat. It's maple with a awesome rosewood board and a smooth satin finish (not the laquered up gloss finish like some guitar necks have). So I'm looking for a neck similar to that profile, but the makeup of it doesn't necessarily have to be maple/rosewood. I was also looking for a nice pickup selection that would allow me to achieve more humbucker style tones as well as nice cleans. I guess you could say that I'm looking for a "metal strat!"

MrSandMan
12-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Have you checked out this site?

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/Guitar.aspx

Brian Krashpad
12-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Oh yeah, lots of online friends of mine have gone the Warmoth route.