PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite pickups?

MrSandMan
08-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I've played factory stockers -- which some aren't bad (The pickups in my Dot On Shaft Carparelli are nice)., EMGs both active and passive and Seymour Duncan. And from my experience the Seymour Duncan are absolutely the best. EMGs are my least favorite, probably because they are just too.... active. It seems like they add unwanted color and brightness to the tone. Maybe I just needed to re-adjust the EQ on the amp for the EMGs?

What are your favorites?

Kurtastrophe.
08-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm not too experienced, but I've played many guitars, and I don't like EMG's either.

I like low output humbuckers like Burstbuckers, and the PRS pickups are really awesome.

Brian Krashpad
08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm a Seymour Duncan fan as well. I have several different types in several different guitars. My Ravelle has the Jazz/JB combination that reportedly is the actual Seymour Duncan's favorite combination for a hot-rodded Les Paul humbucker sound. My Hamer SPecial has Duncan P-90's in it also. Both guitars featured those Duncans stock.

The bridge pickup on my LP Classic up and died, so I asked my luthier/tech guy, Tom, what Duncan I should put in to best compliment the stock ceramic magnet 496R pickup in the neck, and we went with a Custom 5, which is a hot alnico V magnet pickup, not as high output as the JB, but with a more pronounced mid-scoop (according to the numeric gradings on the Duncan website).

All of these sound grand and do exactly what they're supposed to.

Have never played EMG's and have no plans to.

MrSandMan
08-30-2009, 10:28 PM
How would you compare the Seymour to stock Gibby's? Seems stock LP Gibson's are desired pickups too.

R.B. Huckleberry
08-31-2009, 07:11 AM
The Duncan JB is my favorite bridge humbucker. I like their '59 pickup in the neck position.

Lately I've been quite taken with G&L's "MFD (Magnetic Field Design) " pickups. They are single coils design for a better output to hum ratio.

Brian Krashpad
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
How would you compare the Seymour to stock Gibby's? Seems stock LP Gibson's are desired pickups too.

I haven't tried any of the more "trad" style Gibson pickups like the 57 Classics or PAF pro's. They are very popular though, and I'd bet I'd like them. Right now for that lower-output alnico HB sound I use my DeArmond Jet Star.

My Studio Doublecut has Gibson's hotter alnico pair, the 490R and 498T, which are like a slightly mellower Jazz/JB kinda. I like them a lot as well. The LP Classic came with ceramic pickups, which are not very popular, hotter than the alnico's, but I thought they were fine. The only reason I went with a Duncan in the bridge is because the stock one died.

I used to have a Les Paul Special with stacked P-100 soapbars in it. They were OK but I much prefer the sound of a true single coil P-90, even a cheapie ceramic magnet one (which I have in my Agile Valkyrie), much less more trad/less hot alnico P-90's (like the Duncans in my Hamer or Designeds in my Schecter). Have yet to own a guitar with actual Gibson P-90's, but it's a real possibility at some point.

Brian Krashpad
08-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Lately I've been quite taken with G&L's "MFD (Magnetic Field Design) " pickups. They are single coils design for a better output to hum ratio.

I'd really like to try some of those as well. Especially on an ASAT or SC-2. Unfortunately our local G&L dealer went out of business about a year ago.

:frown:

indytruckboy
09-12-2009, 05:45 AM
Hrmmmmm......

I'd have to say EMG 81/60.

Those always seem :2thumbups: to me. But it really all depends on the guitar. They almost always seem the way to go to me.
I like me some Gibson 57s in LP bodies. I love the factory 498T in SGs. Oooohhhh, Texas Specials in Strats.

StickMan
09-30-2009, 08:37 PM
I like the GFS Mean 90s, which are HB sized P90s and probably their best pickups. TV Jones Classics are awesome also.

mmcquain
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Gibson Classic 57 pups in my CS-356 and in my last Les Paul... always great sounding!!!

jackal
09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I'll go agaist the grain, I love EMG 's not only do i not think they are to bright, my fav is when you run them on 18V to add even more clairity to em. mmmm 81's you are my love

If i had to go with a passive I really like the George lynch Screaming demon Duncan pickup and the stock 'Tele's neck bar pickup like the '52 has

MetalMac
10-22-2009, 02:47 AM
I have a Epiphone Limited Edition LP Studio that I had fitted with '57 Classic and Classic Plus GIbson pickups. I really like the sound on them, they have a lot of life and are VERY responsive. They aren't the hottest pickups in the world, but they have that "soul" to them. I have never really tried duncans, so I can't vouch for them. I hear great things about the JB model for humbuckers and the SSL-5 for strats. I absolutely love the EMG SA pickups and the DG-20 signature set for strats. They sound incredible.

silvertear
10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm leaning more towards Dimarzio's.
I have Duncans and they are cool too.
I want to try some GFS sometime but have been
unable to commit.

Brian Krashpad
10-28-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm leaning more towards Dimarzio's.
I have Duncans and they are cool too.
I want to try some GFS sometime but have been
unable to commit.

Fwiw I had some GFS P-90's on a Frankenstrat and they sounded good.

caddy_v_ml
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
I am using a dimebucker but i have heard nothing but good about the dean baker act pickup.As some of you may know dean has started a pickup sub company called DMT Dean Magnetic Technologies and just because you dont like their guitars doesnt mean you wont like the pickups.Michael Angelo Batio, Michael Shenker, Michael Ammot and others all have signature pickups with dean.

TheLivingDead
04-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Bleh, I hate EMGs... I'm a DiMarzio guy through and through. GFS also... Amazing sounding pups for the price.

smorgdonkey
04-20-2010, 07:13 PM
I have many different kinds of pickups. I have the big brands and many small brands too.

I love Lindy Fralins...every one I've heard has been fantastic.

I only have one Lollar but it makes me want more.

I have many Seymour Duncans but tend to look elsewhere when seeking specific things even though the '59 is one of my fav neck humbuckers.

WCR has never let me down. Incredible product.

I have product from small operation winders like JS Moore and BG Bups and can vouch for their product being very high end as well.

I have had some DiMarzio but always ended up replacing them with something else and selling them.

I'll never own another GFS pickup after my first experience with them.

hupur
08-28-2010, 05:32 PM
I use mighty mite motherbuckers in a couple guitars,they have huge sonic output,but can get a little too harsh if you leave the treble on 10.I have a gfs lil puncher in my tele and its really nice sounding.

Rufa
09-27-2019, 07:21 AM
My favourite pick up is: "On a scale of 1 to 10, you’re a 9. I’m the 1 you need." :-)